Friday, August 26, 2016

The foundation

Day one goes very quickly and smoothly. After ordering wood, the delivery arrives and it is all unloaded. Next Michel and JJ start putting the frame of the base of the shed together. Measuring well has paid off and also having an assistant is a huge boost.

Meanwhile I have discovered that I need to form an opinion on windows. And really, up until now, I didn't have one. At the same time, I need to learn the limitations of the local renovation stores. I surf around, I measure, I consider, I scratch my head. Finally, in desperation, I make a Pinterest board. My problem becomes clear. I need windows from 3 different stores because none of them sells the same stuff.

Finally, in order to simplify my thinking, I decide that windows should have one purpose, either to give light or for ventilation. All these big windows opening up in odd ways are just watering down their true purpose. All these windows with screens for airing the house or shed are just pretending to provide light as they'll provide shadows and patterns instead.

So now I have narrowed our options down to a skylight and picture window, neither of which opens up, for good light for photography. And two cheap shed windows that can be opened that can vent the place. Phew. Not sure if that will work but it allows me to move away from the cute awming window I was considering for several hours. As we are carless city dwellers, I also need to keep track of which shops will deliver and how much etc. etc. We are starting to narrow down our design options to the cheapest best walkable materials.

While oldest child measures with the precision of a diamond cutter, youngest child is asked to interrupt his self-directed course in graphic design to try out some paint colours. He adds textures and places it in the proper context so we can visualize it all better. As a family project, it is engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment